Sunday, July 20, 2008

Two weeks left





I'm sorry that I haven't been very good at keeping this updated. Things have been busy here in Costa Rica. After Sarah left, a group from Community of Faith came. My parents got to come along too. It was great to see so many people I know and love. The group did an amazing job and it was a blast getting to work with them.

The first day the group was in La Carpio it was a lot less chaotic for me and I was able to have deep conversations with some of my girls who went to camp. I had been praying for time and the Lord was so sweet. I was painting Jessica's fingernails and was just asking her to share her camp experience with me. It was a huge blessing. I also got to talk with Milady and Jocelyn and spend some sweet time with them. It was so great to see everyone from CoF just jump right in without skipping a beat or needing time to adjust. Everyday there were so many kids and they just got loved on so much.

While the group was here, one evening we talked about how the trip was going and what we were learning or experiencing. Laura asked me to share, and I think for the first time I really processed what I have been experiencing here. From the get go, I just jumped in taking everyday at a time, not trying to make elaborate plans for the future like I normally do. Right before the group here I began to realize that my time is almost up here and I immediately turned into planning mode. The group helped me to realize that it's not about what I plan, it's about living in the moment of everyday and loving on these kids with every chance I get. These kids have made a huge impact on my life. I'm cherishing these last 2 weeks that I have here.

I'm sad to go, but not as much as I would think, because I can come back and these kids will remember me, because I know the Lord has used me in their lives.

Be praying for me as I finish my time here, that I would not turn into the planner that I am, but that I would live moment to moment with these kids. A big prayer on my heart right now is that the Lord would send a full time female to La Carpio to mentor these girls. The hardest part of me leaving is not knowing if the girls are going to have the opportunity to cook once a week, or to be heard, or loved on. Pray that in the mean time, there would be women that could impact the girls' lives between when I leave and a full time female is able to come.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Hi Bridgette,

I was with the COF team! I had an amazing time in La Carpio. My biggest regret is not being able to speak the language. I want to return and I want to be able to remedy that! I think you are doing some amazing work there. I was only there a few days and I miss it like crazy. I can only imagine how you must feel.

Take care and hopefully I'll see you again!

Madison Kerner said...

Beautiful Bridge!

I love you so much and am praying for as often as the Lord puts you on my heart. I can't imagine how hard it will be for you to leave these children, but you brought (and are still bringing) Jesus to them which is all that matters. Praying that the Lord sends someone to love on them as well as you have this summer, those are some big shoes to fill!

p.s.- thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!